Monday, April 12, 2010

Murmurings of a Busy Modern Mommy

My first daughter was born in 2004 when I was 23 years old. Determined to be the quintessential modern mother, I spent the year following her birth getting my real estate license and starting a floral design business with my family. I had this euphoric yet horribly inaccurate vision in my mind of me sitting at a desk at our business working on the computer or making phone calls while my toddler played quietly by herself with toys on the floor beside me. Why didn't someone slap me? I, being an only child with extremely limited babysitting experience under my belt, had horribly underestimated how children require constant and consistent attention. The point is, after trying to be supermom who took her child to work every day for 18 months (and after learning I was pregnant again), I decided I couldn't do it anymore. So, I began my adventure as a stay at home mother, not realizing it would be a journey full of blood, sweat, and tears.

I'll admit it. I was one of those people who would make huge and demeaning assumptions about a woman who was a "stay at home" mom. How hard is that? You stay at YOUR house all day, with YOUR kids, just taking care of them. Awesome! My, what a difference 4 years makes. I'm a tough person. I'm a smart person. I am a meticulous organizer, multi-tasker, time manager, and planner. And although these traits help somewhat in making things run a little smoother, for the most part it matters not.

Before kids, I was that person who enjoyed having control over my surroundings and over my time. I could make my precious to-do lists and follow them, on a time table I liked. I could go to the grocery store on the same day every week. And always get my hair cut every 6 weeks. And always sort the mail every day. And always pay bills on certain days of the month. And always have my toenails perfectly painted. And always have my glass top table perfectly Windex-ed every day. I even had the labels of my canned goods facing the same way. Okay, so I was almost certifiable....

Now, I'm lucky if I get my hair cut every 3 months or so and my glass top table is the greatest nemesis in my life; daily taunting me with its multitude of smudges and fingerprints and caked on pieces of macaroni. Oh, and I can't even find that damn to-do list. And one of the most simple luxuries I miss the most? Going to the bathroom by myself with the door closed! Wouldn't want someone to climb on the couch, fall onto the tile floor, and bust their face open while you take that selfish moment to go relieve yourself.

See the thing about being a stay at home mother is that you get zero down time. You are always on. 24/7/365. Think about that for a minute. ALL the time; no sick or personal days. At 3 am when she wets the bed and needs a bath and new sheets. At 6:30 am on Saturday when they're awake and asking for pancakes even though you're hungover because you actually had a sitter the night before and went out. At 6 pm when dinner's boiling over and the phone's ringing and one girl needs a diaper change and the other INSISTS that you help her find her Pooh Bear right now and you have to go pee because you've already been putting it off for 30 minutes. At 8 am when you have to be somewhere at 9 and you're trying to make them breakfast, put your makeup on, find your brush that they thought it would fun to hide from you, pack the diaper bag, find your cell phone (which they also hid), get them dressed and find that elusive "other shoe", and when you finally get everyone and everything into the car you discover your car needs gas and you forgot to brush your teeth. Seriously, I could go on and on, but I will just stop. It's stressing me out to even think about it, and you probably have your own stories that are better anyway.

And I only have 2 kids who are three years apart! Translation, I've never had more than one child in diapers at one time. I met a woman last week who has three kids and they're all one year apart, and I'm pretty sure my face melted into an expression of awe and admiration as if I had just met a war hero. Seriously--how does she do it and still have her hair fixed and toenails painted??? Amazing...

Now, I realize how this sounds. I guess through this explosion of emotions, I've made my opinion of motherhood sound pretty horrible. This couldn't be further from the truth. It is absolutely the most difficult, stressful, and life changing experience of my life. But it is also the most rewarding, precious, and heart-warming experience of my life. My toddler can knock off a glass bottle of hot sauce onto the tile and make a that-takes-30-minutes-to-clean-up mess, but then she comes and gives me one of those unsolicited hugs and says "momma" and smiles with her blue eyes shining....and my whole world gets instantly sucked into the vacuum of that moment. And it is a precious reminder that life is really not about to-do lists at all.

I started this blog to be a moment of sanity for busy modern moms. I spent so many days home, crying and overwhelmed, and wishing that I knew I wasn't alone. And hopefully this blog can be a place where women can connect, commiserate, and find some useful tips and resources....all without leaving home. Because god knows...between naptimes, breastfeeding, and laundry, you probably aren't getting out much these days.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment